Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011: The Year of No Expectations

It's finally 2011! And I'm not usually the one to make resolutions but as I look back at 2010, I realize some things definitely need to change in 2011. I realized that in the past and especially in 2010 I have set my expectations so high over and over.  I think throughout the year, especially when it came to guys, I have gotten overeager, overexcited and then not surprisingly, I have been often overly disappointed. This idea all came about when I was on a date - yes a date!! On Tuesday, I went out with a new OkCupid find. I mentioned The Nonprofiteer in the last entry but after meeting him I believe Sideways Guy is much more fitting.

Why Sideways? Well, apparently no one informed him that wearing his hat with the bill to the side hasn't been cool since the 90s. I shouldn't have been surprised by this because his photos on OkCupid displayed this sideways style but I thought he might hold off before showcasing this until the 2nd date. If only for the reason that seeing him in person with his sideways hat made me think of.... VIDEO CLIP TIME!




At least this made me laugh and I also thought, "He's confident enough to look silly and really owns his style - good for him!"


Going back to expectations. I set them extremely high for this date with Sideways. Over the internet things looked promising. He was really good looking, we had the same taste in movies, his messages were thoughtful and he seemed like a fun guy! I was really excited to get back in the game of dating and to be put in with what I thought was going to be an all-star. When he opened his mouth to talk, however, disappointment barged in and became a third wheel on our date. Sideways Guy was tall, dark (haired) and handsome with a voice of a tiny, little, slightly feminine mouse. I could barely hear him and it got real annoying, real fast. I tried to bear with it but I think I ended up talking too much so that I didn't have to keep saying what?! WHAT?? I'm not surprised he hasn't called yet, I didn't let him get a word in!

I'm not sure why I set high expectations but I do. Remember how excited I was about The Musician at the very beginning? Major let down. The Renaissance Man? Disappointed by his height. I even had some hopeful expectations for The Musician the second time around and The Ex the millionth time around. And one would think to lower my expectations but I feel that's real negative so I've decided:

2011 is the YEAR OF NO EXPECTATIONS!!!

And so far, I think it's worked out for me. For example, last night I went to Tavern on the Water for New Years Eve. I was invited by my friend Liz and of course took Kaitlin and her boyfriend, Caleb. I went dateless and only knew Kaitlin, Caleb, Liz and her boyfriend Slater. The old me would have set high expectations for the night. And ultimately, the need to meet some new cute boy to kiss at midnight would have ruined my night. The NEW and IMPROVED me had no expectations of how the night would turn out. I just went hoping to have fun with some friends. And I did have fun, I did end up with a midnight kiss and I did end up with a boy in my bed on New Years Day. I didn't expect it and I wasn't disappointed. And if this guy calls me great but again, I'm not expecting anything. I'll take the good and the bad as it comes but to expect the best or even the worst is just setting myself up for disaster.

Cheers to the year of no expectations and whatever it may bring!! Happy New Year! And to help you celebrate please enjoy another great VIDEO CLIP TIME!


No comments:

Post a Comment